Friday, July 15, 2011

Post-Potter Depression

Not only was the film everything I hoped it would be and more, it was ... more. So much more.
Tears rolled down my cheeks for most of the film, and the warm spirit of happiness I felt within never left - from the moment we stepped in line to the moment we collapsed on our beds I was happy. It took me even longer than usual to fall asleep. It was a film that played over and over again in my head; music that kept me thinking for hours; cinematography that had my eyes never wanting to close...

I woke this morning expecting to feel some sort of sadness, or loss and the end of such a brilliant series.

All I felt was drained.

I am not sure if it was because of the last nights events, or simply because I slept for less than 4 hours, but I was so physically (and emotionally) drained that I honestly had no desire to do anything. At all. Hannah and I drove back to Rexburg today and I have yet to accomplish anything with my day.

As I was sitting on my friends couch, trying to think of what I wanted to do, I began to recycle through a few of the old overused ideas - Play a game. Eat. Do some weekend homework. Study. Watch a movie. Talk. Sleep. Read a book.

I kept standing up and walking around trying to decide what to do with my day. I would finally sit down to do something, and 2 second into it I knew it is not what I really wanted to be doing. Finally, after getting up after a failed attempt at a nap, I realized that what I really wanted to do was grab my ipod. Music sounded good. I would listen to something peaceful. Maybe I would be able to sleep after that.

Of course, the first thing I thought of listening to was Harry Potter.
Not the music - the book.

Figures that is all I would feel like doing - sitting on a bed, listening to Jim Dale's beautiful timbre of a voice retell the stories I love...

But not tonight. Not today. That will have to wait until after school - after the semester ends. I will just make it through this week, and then I can start over again.

But you know, even after last night - I do not feel sadness - not really at all. I am not even upset that this was the final film (probably because they did such an amazing job with it), because for me Harry Potter will never die. Harry Potter will never be complete.

And not just Harry Potter - but stories in general. This is what I have chosen to become my life - for the rest of mortality. For the past 7 years I have been planning on a future where creating life - sharing worlds of words - is my day to day existence. Stories are what I live for, and for me I feel they have no end.

Harry Potter will forever live in my heart, and I pray that someday there will be another 6 year old girl, eagerly sitting on her father's lap, listening to the words I have penned just for her; the lives and the images I have seen - the hopes and the dreams I have envisioned - and that this girl will someday grow, too, into a creator of worlds and and inspirer of dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment