Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm going to have a Quiddich Pitch in my backyard someday....

Tonight I was sitting at the dinner table with my family (per the usual custom) and we were having a little chit chat about life. Paul was leading the discussion with a riveting tale of his adventures with some ASU professor who studies clouds or something; Mom and Dad listening in silence, Luke throwing out the occasional scientific term, Joe playing with his zucchini and dreaming of all the things he could be building on minecraft...it was the daily dinner routine with a twist - Paul as the conversationalist, not me.

Don't let the fact that I have no recollection as to the name of the Professor or the events that transpired go unnoticed...It was a very dull speech with very big words that simply flitted through one ear and out the other (no offense to the speaker intended).
The words "open minded" comes to...well...mind as I think of the differences between my brother Paul and me, but only in so far as the idea that my mind is literally...open. I mean, Paul can try to explain science to me - draw the little waves on a white board, or sing it in a song - but no matter what he tries to cram in, the second I stand up it'll all fall back out.

That tangent was much longer than intended.

Back to dinner.

So Paul was talking about his day, and somehow we got on the subject of what kind of research he'll do someday, so naturally I suggest that he joins those research teams trying to create an invisibility cloak...because...well...it's an invisibility cloak! Apparently I'm the only one who saw the logic behind this however, because both Paul and Luke immediately turn to me as if I'm mental and just shake their heads and say "Maddy, he's not an engineer."

Whatever.

I just think they're jealous cause we all know I'm going to marry the man who invents one. Or whoever finds Harry's old one...I bet that guy will be super cute and British.
Yeah...


1 comment:

  1. I'm also open minded, but the lid to my mind isn't located on the bottom of my mental container. I think if you just learned while standing on your head, closed the lid, than stood up you would be a lot more successful in learning science. And you would have amazing balance.

    ReplyDelete